Newport grew to be the largest of the four original settlements of Rhode Island, which also included Providence Plantations and Shawomett.Many of the first colonists in Newport became Baptists, and the second Baptist congregation in Rhode Island was formed in 1640 under the leadership of John Clarke.It was a major 18th-century port city and also contains a high number of surviving buildings from the colonial era of the United States. Newport was founded in 1639 on Aquidneck Island, which was called Rhode Island at the time.The city is the county seat of Newport County, which has no governmental functions other than court administrative and sheriff corrections boundaries. Its eight founders and first officers were Nicholas Easton, William Coddington, John Clarke, John Coggeshall, William Brenton, Jeremy Clark, Thomas Hazard, and Henry Bull.For this, in 2007, the US National Park Service recognized Newport as "worthy" of World Heritage designation. "Newport's Old Quarter, the Arts and Culture Neighborhood" is a delightful walking tour map directing visitors to the cultural and historic sites of Colonial Newport.Newport's shopping districts include: Broad Street, lower Thames Street, Thames Street, Spring Street, Brick Market, Bellevue Avenue and Bowen's and Bannister's Wharves. Copies available at the Newport County Convention and Visitors Bureau.Teaming up with student writers and directors, Franco’s masters class allows 12 hopefuls to each direct approximately 10 minutes of content, culminating in a patchwork-like feature film that resembles the inner workings of a TV show.
Built in 1851 and purchased by the Astors in 1881, it became Newport's social center during the Guilded Age.
In 1658, a group of Jews were allowed to settle in Newport who were fleeing the Inquisition in Spain and Portugal.
Newport has a unique combination of qualities that attracts millions from all over the world every year.
For more information on custom homesites, please call: 949.720.
The City of Newport is located approximately 37 miles (60 km) southeast of Providence, 21 miles (34 km) south of Fall River, and 74 miles (119 km) south of Boston.